Boy unlikely to return quickly from Brazil to US
SAO PAULO — An attorney for a New Jersey man seeking to regain custody of his son says that even if Brazil’s supreme court rules in his client’s favor, the boy cannot depart immediately for the U.S..
The supreme court is reviewing whether 9-year-old Sean Goldman can be returned to his father, David, in the U.S.
Goldman’s wife took the boy to her native Brazil in 2004. The couple divorced, and the mother remarried and died last year after giving birth to a daughter.
Ricardo Zamariola said Wednesday that “a court of appeals has ordered that the boy remain in Brazil until it rules on an appeal filed by Sean’s stepfamily.”
President Barack Obama is asking Brazil to return the boy to his father.