Iran puts 25 more people on trial over protests

TEHRAN - Iran Sunday put 25 more people on trial for participating in the demonstrations over alleged irregularities in the June 12 presidential elections, a media report said.

“A number of opportunist individuals disturbed the Iranian nation through destructive acts,” said the indictment read by the deputy prosecutor general of Tehran.

The prosecutor said some of the defendants used explosives and attacked Basij forces (voluntary militia).

The revolutionary court held two other sessions for trying detained protesters this month, IRNA news agency reported.

The charges include plot to overthrow the Islamic regime with the help of some Western nations, links with terrorist groups, bombing, carrying weapons, attacking police, universities and military bases and damaging public property, among others.

Protests gripped Tehran and other Iranian cities after the June 12 presidential election, amid claims that the vote had been rigged in favour of incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iran’s state-run media said at least 30 people had been killed in the unrest.

Officials said about 4,000 protesters were arrested during the riots. Some 3,700 protesters were later released.

Related?

Leave a Reply


Protected by Comment Guard Pro