ISLAMABAD - Chief of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant outfit Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, who is the alleged mastermind of the Mumbai terror attacks, has moved the Lahore High Court challenging his detention.
Saeed, who now heads the outlawed Jamaat-ud-Daawa (JuD) which is the frontal charity organisation of the LeT, has said he was being detained unlawfully, according to The News.
Three other JuD leaders, Col. (retd) Nazeer Ahmed, Mufti Abdul Rehman and Ameer Hamza, have also challenged their arrest.
Saeed, Hamza, Ahmed and Rehman were placed under house arrest Dec 12 last year.
Saeed’s name figures in the list of terrorists India accuses of orchestrating the November 2008 terror attacks on Mumbai. At least 170 people were killed in the carnage.
The petitioner’s counsel submitted that there was no allegation on record against Saeed or his organisation.
The counsel said the JuD had never been involved in any terrorist activity in Pakistan and no FIR had ever been registered against it or any of the persons under arrest.
He said the JuD was an independent organisation which had no connection with the LeT.