Macau official convicted of more corruption counts
HONG KONG — A former Macau official convicted last year in the gambling enclave’s biggest corruption case was on Wednesday found guilty of another 24 graft-related charges.
Former transport and public works secretary Ao Man-long was sentenced to 27 years and nine months in prison for taking bribes, laundering money and abusing his power when approving certain construction contracts, according to the written judgment released by Macau’s Court of Final Appeal.
The former minister was convicted of similar charges in January 2008 and sentenced to 27 years in prison. The court said that Ao can serve his latest sentence concurrently with the earlier one for a total sentence of 28 years and six months.
Ao is the highest-level official ever convicted of graft in the former Portuguese colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1999.
In sentencing, judge Sam Hou Fai described Ao as avaricious and said he had seriously damaged the image and integrity of the Macau government, Hong Kong radio RTHK reported.
Ao was also fined 24,000 patacas (about $3,000).