Man accused of fatally shooting 3 in San Francisco drive-by to stand trial for murder

Man to stand trial for killing 3 in SFC traffic

SAN FRANCISCO — An illegal immigrant accused of fatally shooting a father and his two sons in San Francisco traffic last year will stand trial for murder, a judge ruled Monday.

Judge Teri Jackson said there’s sufficient evidence for 22-year-old Edwin Ramos to be tried for the June 2008 killings.

Police allege Ramos, from El Salvador, belongs to the violent MS-13 street gang that originated among immigrants from that country and he mistook the younger victims for gang rivals. Slain were 48-year-old Tony Bologna and his sons, 20-year-old Michael and 16-year-old Matthew.

Ramos has said he drove the getaway car but wasn’t the shooter.

The shooting sparked concern over a loophole in San Francisco’s sanctuary city policy, in which illegal immigrants charged with crimes as minors were not handed over to federal immigration officials but flown home or housed in the state at the city’s expense instead. That policy allowed Ramos to stay in the U.S. even though he had been charged with felonies as a minor. The city has since closed that loophole.

Related?

Leave a Reply


Protected by Comment Guard Pro