LAHORE - The Lahore High Court has issued a detailed version of its verdict regarding the release of Jamaat-ud-Dawaa (JuD) Chief Hafiz Saeed.
The verdict mentions that the unsatisfactory record of the government regarding Saeed’s case was the prime reason behind Saeed’s acquittal.
It said the government had tabled important case documents before the court after three months when it had actually put Saeed under house arrest.
This delay probably went against the government, and the court decided to end Saeed’s house arrest, The News reports.
Meanwhile, acting Advocate General Raza Farooq has said the government is studying the detailed verdict and will soon file petition against the release of JuD chief in the Supreme Court.
Earlier this week, a full bench of the Lahore High Court ordered the release from house arrest of Saeed, the prime accused of the November 2008 Mumbai attacks, on the basis of a habeas corpus petition filed by his lawyer. The high court said that it had not received substantial evidence to continue the detention of Saeed.
The Lahore High Court also ordered the release of another Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader, Colonel (retired) Nazir Ahmad.
Saeed was put under house arrest on December 11 last year, and his release was made after five months and 20 days.
Pakistan Attorney General had earlier told the Lahore High Court, that the government had enough proof against Saeed to warrant extension of his arrest, but could not produce that evidence in court. He had also said that Saeed had undeniable links with the Al Qaeda. (ANI)